Wednesday, January 25, 2012

What Republicans just don't understand

     I keep hearing republicans cry “class warfare” or people like Mitt Romney saying that Americans envy the rich. The fact is that most Americans don’t envy the rich or even desire to be rich but just want to be treated fair and be able to take care of their family.

    I’ve been poor and I’ve been rich, the only difference is between the two was not having to worry about the checkbook. Being rich didn’t make me any better then I was before and if anything it made me a little worse. After getting a taste of having more money then I knew what to do with that became all I would worry about, often putting my family and friends on the back burner to try and make more money. It wasn’t till a family emergency that made me realize that you can have all the money in the world and it means nothing if you don’t have someone to share it with and family who truly cares about you.

    Until the 1980’s most Americans where happy with their lives, they made enough money working a full time job and where happy as long as their kids had food on the table and cloths on their back. Then came the Reagan revolution which brought us huge inflation and it was no longer possible to have a family where on parent worked and made enough money for the whole family. All most of us want is to be able to support a family again, to not have to worry about where the next supper is coming from or will we lose everything if our children get sick.

    We the people just want a fair playing field, one where a store clerk has as much influence on our democracy as a hedge fund manager. We are currently closing in on a plutocracy where all the money is in a few peoples hands and they get to buy politicians and have rules made to their advantage. The 2012 republican primary is a great example of money buying elections, Newt Gingrich hasn’t raised much money but has a wealthy backer who has spent 10 million dollars to try and buy the presidency. If Newt is elected president what will he owe the person who bought him the office and that one person will have more influence then the other 300 million who didn’t help him.

     I don’t envy the rich, I envy people like my parents who have woke up next to each other for the last 50 years and are still best friends today and as much in love as they where all those years ago. They both worked full time jobs to put food on the table and cloths on our back and as children we didn’t consider ourselves “poor” even though looking back we where. If I’m lucky enough to have a family of my own and there is a heaven I want to meet God and say

   “I didn’t pray and I didn’t go to church but what I did do is put the love of my family and friends over my own needs, I didn’t value money more then my children and was never unfaithful.”

No comments:

Post a Comment